Waking up is hard. Waking up to a breakfast nook, where eating your morning meal, gathering with the fam, or enjoying a quick read before the day begins? — less hard.Which is why you need a breakfast nook, and you need one now. A little space within your home where sneaking away is ok, where eating quickly is not considered rude, and where you can look forward to a mini food (or lounging) adventure each and every morning.
Ready to create this amazing little space? Whether you’re remodeling your kitchen or just looking to snag some extra seating for the space you have, here are some tips that could make all the difference in creating a space you’ll love to wake up to:
1. No Excuses, Big or Small — A nook is just that, a small part of your home, set aside for a specific purpose. In this case, a small eating and lounging area, assumedly with a table and chairs of some sort. Don’t feel like your breakfast nook has to be any larger than the corner of a room, or whatever you have to work with, in order to make it a reality. Spaciousness is not a priority here. Comfy seating and a welcoming vibe are what you’re going for.
2. Something Soft Please! – Whether it’s a cushioned pillow seat, a warm rug, or that go-for-gold wrap-around sofa bench that surrounds your table, your nook needs something of the soft variety. When you’re transitioning from your pillow to the place you have your coffee in the morning (not quite entirely awake we assume), something cushiony is the right kind of go-between before you start your day.
3. Add Some Storage — No doubt a breakfast nook doesn’t need much, as breakfast is generally a small (but mighty) meal. But it’s gonna need a place for you to store something: the morning paper, your journal, or just extra napkins. Keeping a storage basket nearby, including a row of cubbies, or adding a small cabinet are all dynamite ideas. If you want to go bigger (and want to play up the eating-factor), consider adding a certifiably cute cereal-bar, an all-things coffee-cart, or a tea-station nearby.
4. Be a Little Brave – A breakfast nook is just the kinda place to go a little bit crazy (however crazy you’re comfortable with). Creativity is good here. Since it’s a small space, your choice of style or color is not going to overwhelm your home. So search for that decor you love (but are too afraid to use elsewhere), and go for it. Add color to the wall, or stock the corner with fresh flowers. Whatever makes you breathe in relaxation and beauty (or helps your brain wake up!) — this is the place for it.
5. Light it Up — If you’re going to lounge, read, and ok sometimes even eat breakfast in this space, you need to be able to see, and see well. Selecting a spot near a window is great, but if that’s not possible — or even if it is — adding a light fixture (think drop-down pendant light or mini chandelier) over your breakfast nook is an excellent idea that will brighten your morning even more. (Just be careful not to run into it in your sleep-induced state).
Ready to remodel your home, kitchen, or even add a breakfast nook of your own? Connect with us here at Homecare for design ideas, and your new space could be complete before you know it! Kitchen remodeling and more for Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Apple Valley, Edina, and more throughout the Twin Cities!