The month of August is knocking on our doors. With The State Fair just around the corner, we are just days from those going back to school ads that we all secretly still get a little anxious from. With such a wonderful summer of barbeques and days at the beach we have stop and remember that there are some basic maintenance duties we must tend to besides mowing the lawn in the summer. Below is a list of basic mid-summer to-do’s from Home Energy Source MN:
- Clear air intakes, exhaust and meters of debris, nests, etc.
- Check gutters and downspouts and clean if needed.
- Check exterior finishes for moisture damage.
- Check and clean mechanical ventilation system (HRV/ERV). Check your manual and follow manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Air out damp basements on dry days or use dehumidifier.
- Have furnace (heating system) serviced.
- Check hot water heater for mineral buildup, drain, refill.
- Check and repair interior caulking and grout on tile in showers and baths.
- Check and repair all cracked, separated or missing exterior caulking and weather stripping, especially around windows and entry doors. Use ASTM C-920 sealant.
- Seal coat and repair asphalt driveway as needed.
- Replace air filters monthly when air conditioning or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Clean A/C condenser.
Remember to enjoy your summer and space out your mid-summer to-do’s and before you know it we will be telling how to prepare for the Fall. As we all know, this warm weather does not last long, so enjoy your family and your home!